Connection Manager & Smart Sync

saltire

17 Aug, 2010 05:01 AM

Greetings,
Just started with Aptana today after having tried a few other IDEs, and I'm pleasantly surprised so far. I have several web projects which I like to work on locally but upload to a remote server quickly and frequently.

The Connections node is nice and flexible: I like being able to choose from syncing between filesystems, projects and remote sites. I also like that there are lots of quick options for uploading/downloading single files or whole projects. Smart Sync is a particularly useful tool.

I have a couple of suggestions, though, that might make it even easier to use:

• I often have several projects in different directories on the same server. It would be nice if, when configuring a new connection to a remote server, I could have the option to choose an existing FTP server and just specify the remote path for that connection, rather than creating a whole new FTP connection each time with the same details and a different path. It'd save a lot of time creating projects, as well as updating them all if, say, I change my FTP password.

• That last point was a little hard to phrase because there are two things that use the word "connection": file transfer connections, and FTP connections. Perhaps they could be renamed or clarified?

• The Smart Sync window shows a comparison between the local folder and the remote folder, but since they're mirrors they often have the same name. It'd be nice if, say, the columns specified 'local' and 'remote', so I could immediately tell which is which.

• Also, I've noticed a minor bug: when I resize the Smart Sync window horizontally, the left-hand column shrinks rapidly.

Otherwise, the app seems quite intuitive so far. Keep up the good work!

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Ingo Muschenetz on 26 Aug, 2010 04:40 PM

Hi Saltire,

Thank you for your comments and suggestions. I've created two tickets in response to the issues you raised. On the last point, it looks like it's just resizing the left-hand column and keeping the other columns consistent. What would you suggest as a more intuitive resizing behavior?

Best,
    Ingo

2. Support Staff 3 Posted by Ingo Muschenetz on 04 Nov, 2010 06:16 AM

Resolving as we've created two tickets for the issue. Please watch those for updates:

http://aptana.lighthouseapp.com/projects/35272/tickets/523

http://aptana.lighthouseapp.com/projects/35272/tickets/524

Best,
    Ingo

3. Ingo Muschenetz closed this discussion on 04 Nov, 2010 06:16 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac