Jaxer forums?

Mike

22 Oct, 2009 07:14 PM

Did you guys shut down all jaxer support/development?

The forums are locked and I haven't found anything else on the web about jaxer?

If it's dead, what are you guys using as this was probably the coolest thing I've ever wanted to use :\

1. 2 Posted by ashebanow on 22 Oct, 2009 10:49 PM

My bad. I turned off those forums by mistake. They should be on again. We really need to get jaxer its own support site since we want to stop maintaining phpbb.... Thanks for notifying us.

2. ashebanow closed this discussion on 22 Oct, 2009 10:49 PM.

3. Mike re-opened this discussion on 22 Oct, 2009 10:51 PM

4. 3 Posted by Mike on 22 Oct, 2009 10:51 PM

No prob. Keep up the good work, guys/gals!

5. 4 Posted by Mike on 27 Oct, 2009 03:10 AM

They still appear to be locked as I cannot post or comment on the forums.

6. 5 Posted by ashebanow on 28 Oct, 2009 06:23 PM

Sorry, I'll take another look. I'm also looking into buying another tender instance (like this one) for jaxer as a replacement.

7. 6 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 31 Oct, 2009 12:13 PM

What is the state of jaxer development? It looks like it has fallen by the way-side. Any plans to bring it back in to the lime light soon?

8. 7 Posted by bizzi-body on 31 Oct, 2009 09:34 PM

We really need some direction form the Jaxer team. If the technlogy is going to be left to wither - we need time to re-architect our apps. Please talk to us.

9. 8 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 31 Oct, 2009 11:19 PM

Agreed, but I see no reason for them to drop it. It's an incredible concept that no one would have thought possible.

Granted it's current incantation has limitations, but it is very young software.

It looks like most efforts have gone towards their RadRails app development. Which I suppose is fine, but Ruby/Ruby on rails has a very strong community and such as it is. Jaxer has basically 1 community and it would appear to be dead.

10. 9 Posted by bizzi-body on 01 Nov, 2009 08:30 PM

I really hope they don't drop the technology. It's bloody amazing. Such a simple and truly powerful concept.

Esatterwhite, you are right about the community. The Jaxer community is very small. There are too few blogs out there. There is no buzz. I'm only starting my journey with Jaxer and I really should write about it - we all should write about it.

However what I would really like is for there to be some communication from the Aptana team. Some clue as to what they are thinking. I really really want Jaxer to succeed.

11. 10 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 01 Nov, 2009 10:26 PM

Yes, it is pretty cool. I would like to see Jaxer and activerecordjs development pick back up to the speed they were at pre studio1.5 release.

There seems to be a faint heartbeat with the github repository for activerecoryjs. After the jaxer1.5 release, development priority pretty well dropped. I had a couple project I really wanted to get Jaxer working with, but that was right around the time, Aptana seemed to loose interest and I was just too skeptical of their support intentions to move forward to it.

I hope both of them pick back up, the possibilities are pretty impressive.

12. 11 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 01 Nov, 2009 10:27 PM

Has anyone installed Aptana2.0? is jaxer still bundled with it? If it's not I'll just stick with 1.5.

13. 12 Posted by Gaurav on 02 Nov, 2009 03:36 AM

Jaxer is dead for sure. Otherwise why the forums are still locked and there is not a single word about Jaxer on their website. I think the investors talked Aptana out of Jaxer as it might not be a feasible option due to resistance showed by web hosting companies in deploying Jaxer because of the structure. Or why Jaxer has not been updated? It has been quite sometime since Firefox 3.5 came out.

14. 13 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 02 Nov, 2009 04:56 AM

well I can understand the resistance from shared hosts. At first glance, the idea is to install a web browser on the server so a user can make javascript calls on the server machine. doesn't come across as the best idea out there.

I think a straight forward solution would be to partner with a hosting provider. get them to understand how the software works, get them comfortable with it so they will support it. In return, they get a ton of business.

I know there was a thread about 1 or 2 hosts who were able to install it and a few people were testing their code on it, but Jaxer's memory footprint was a little much for most shared plans.

There is always resistance at first with completely new software. Hell, people still use IE5. But come'on aptana, It's awesome software don't drop it. Imagine where Adobe would be if Macromedia dropped flash at Version 5 when everyone hated it!

15. 14 Posted by bizzi-body on 02 Nov, 2009 01:44 PM

No. Jaxer is not bundled with Studio v2x. I have another thread on the forum asking for help to install it as you just get error messages when you follow the instructions.

Aptana did partner with Joyent. I have a site hosted with them through the Aptana Cloud service. $20 per month - it's just a play thing right now while I get my ideas straight. But I was hoping to take it forward with a business idea.

16. 15 Posted by b-dub on 02 Nov, 2009 02:19 PM

I've previously mostly developed on the desktop, but am now really starting to get into javascript. I think it would be a great shame for Jaxer to go by the wayside. The programming model & syntax with Jaxer are so much nicer than the normal AJAX stuff I see out there. Please keep this going.

17. 16 Posted by ashebanow on 02 Nov, 2009 04:54 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded here, everyone here at Aptana really appreciates the passion and energy of the group. Jaxer holds a special place in Aptana's heart - our CEO even has a "JAXER" license plate on his car. Unfortunately, being a cool technology and a business success aren't always the same thing, and in Jaxer's case there hasn't been sufficient adoption to make it a money earning proposition. So we've had to significantly reduce the amount of time and effort we put into maintaining Jaxer.

But we haven't killed it, because we love it too much. That's why we set up jaxer.org - we want the technology to continue to be improved by the community. I encourage all of you to take your passion and invest it in jaxer yourself - together we can do a lot more than Aptana could ever afford to do by itself.

As for the forum issue, that's on me. I thought I had a way of enabling just the jaxer forums on the old php bbs, but it didn't work. I now have an action item of finding a new system for such discussions that doesn't require us to maintain a raft of php code. One option is to just set up a google group, another is to purchase a tenderapp.com setup like the one we're using here. What do you all prefer?

18. 17 Posted by john Fronckowiak on 02 Nov, 2009 04:59 PM

Will the Jaxer plugin still be available for Studio 2.0?

19. 18 Posted by mike on 02 Nov, 2009 04:59 PM

I think Jaxer just needs to be marketed better. The Jaxer launcher is good for adaptation.

Part of the project growing is a better website. I know we can all work together to get a website that a) is informative, b) really 'markets' jaxer. This means a re-design that draws javascript junkies in.

Part of RoR's success was good design and marketing. Jaxer is an incredible product, so it makes marketing it, even easier.

I vote against google groups. It has terrible spam problems.

20. 19 Posted by ashebanow on 02 Nov, 2009 05:05 PM

@john: Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I expect Google to fix the spam problem very quickly. But you are right that if things stay as they are its not a good option.

@mike: I think your suggestion of building a prettier, more JS centric site for jaxer.org is a good one. I don't believe the source for the website itself is available on github publicly, but I'll check into the legal issues and see if we can do that. Then anyone could submit pull requests for improvements to the site.

21. 20 Posted by mike on 02 Nov, 2009 05:24 PM

@andrew: It would be great if you open sourced jaxer.org. I will be an active contributor if possible. I can't contribute to the core code due to my lack of engineering skills, however I still want to help see this succeed as much as possible.

22. 21 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 02 Nov, 2009 05:41 PM

@Mike:

There is a github for jaxer:
    http://github.com/aptana/Jaxer

The the way jaxer's api is set up is really easy to understand/use. but there is a lot in there that is way over my head. I took 1 look at some of the mozilla browser code. I think I blacked out 3 times.

============================================================

As for the website, I agree. it needs a face lift.

Here is an idea, why not build the Jaxer website on the jaxer framework to show case the possibilities!

I'm an html/css junkie( part time js junkie ) - I'd get in on that

23. 22 Posted by ashebanow on 02 Nov, 2009 10:52 PM

The CEO has given tentative approval to the idea of open sourcing the jaxer.org website, but we still have some legal hoops to jump through before we can do it.

24. 23 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 02 Nov, 2009 11:07 PM

Thats interesting. What is it the site currently built on?

25. 24 Posted by ashebanow on 03 Nov, 2009 12:17 AM

php. The work was done by a contractor using the tool he knew best...

26. 25 Posted by Gaurav on 03 Nov, 2009 09:46 AM

Andrew said, "Unfortunately, being a cool technology and a business success aren't always the same thing, and in Jaxer's case there hasn't been sufficient adoption to make it a money earning proposition." - There. He said it. In my words Jaxer will die a slow death.

There is no sufficient adoption because of the way it is built. If you guys can spend some more time and money in creating it like php, I think it will blow away other server side technologies. How? Simple. I will only need to know JS as a programming language and it will reduce the time to develop & maintain the code along 3 different platforms - Desktop, Mobile and Server. Adobe AIR and Titanium are here for Desktop and Mobile and they both support JS. Now JS on server also will make me, the developer, an all rounder.

Ask your investors to give it a serious thought.

27. 26 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 03 Nov, 2009 08:48 PM

I would have to agree. The lack of adaptation probably stems from un familiarity with the technology. I'm not sure what all happens behind the aptana doors, but If the jaxer screen casts and documentation are all the prospective adopters have to look at, I'm not surprised.

Just putting in out there probably isn't enough to get most hosting providers comfortable with it.

28. 27 Posted by ashebanow on 03 Nov, 2009 08:53 PM

I wasn't around during the early days of Jaxer's introduction, so I can't comment on what Aptana did or didn't do.

But I strongly disagree that Jaxer needs to die a slow death because there hasn't been sufficient adoption to make it a money maker for Aptana. The fact is that the bar for commercial success is a lot higher than the bar for open source community success. As a community project, jaxer could still thrive, as many other similar projects have done. Whether it does or not now depends as much on the user community (that's you) as it does on us. If you contribute, it will grow. If you don't it will wither and die, because Aptana can't put enough resources in to make it succeed on our own.

Sorry to be so blunt, but that is how it is.

29. 28 Posted by ashebanow on 03 Nov, 2009 10:45 PM

The jaxer.org source is now available on github, under the same license as jaxer itself:

http://github.com/aptana/jaxer-org

The only exception is the Highslide JS library used by the guides, which is redistributed under its own license (CC non-commercial).

For those who haven't used github, the basic idea is to fork the repository on github, make your changes, and then issue a pull request. Aptana will review the changes and either integrate them or reject them. Thanks.

30. 29 Posted by Gaurav on 04 Nov, 2009 05:00 AM

True that the bar for commercial success is a lot higher than open source projects but atleast aptana can create a strong base so that it becomes easier for the community work on it. I am not a c or python etc programmer and I can't afford to become one now. What I want is to use my existing skills to create a better solution for my customers. I can contribute in terms of javascript development of Jaxer but not in terms of developing the very technology. This only you guys can do.

And no need to be sorry for being blunt Andrew. Sometimes, one has to tell the truth as it is.

31. 30 Posted by FIRST_NAME LAST_NAME on 04 Nov, 2009 04:43 PM

Nice, I look forward to working on a redesign/build. I love that kind of stuff!

Does anyone know the state of ActiveRecordjs? Some of the doc pages on the site are yet to be filled in.

Has anyone built a site with it yet? I would like to see how a project is structured/implimented. I'm familiar with the MVC pattern, I've built and coded a couple large scale Sites built on Django. I suppose I could always create a fork built on django, but it would make much more sense to use jaxer with activerecordjs rather than django or rails, etc.

any feed back would be appreciated.
    I was doing a little design work this morning, here is a 'modernized' Jaxer logo mock up i did.

32. 31 Posted by ashebanow on 04 Nov, 2009 04:46 PM

I know it sounds funny coming from me, but the aptana branding is too big and stands out too much from the light green jaxer text. We like having our name out there, but right now the aptana word is the first thing I notice, and that is too much corporate branding

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac

Recent Discussions

12 Apr, 2014 05:01 PM
02 Apr, 2014 05:07 PM
31 Mar, 2014 12:24 PM