Aptana Git Plugin - Disable?

Andrew Wiley

29 Oct, 2010 07:27 PM

I'm a longtime Eclipse user, and I use the EGit plugin for Git integration in Eclipse. This plugin only recently reached a mature state, but it's fine for daily workflow these days, and I've been using it for the last few months.
I just installed Aptana Studio Beta 3 in Eclipse (3.6), and it seems to have a built in Git plugin that conflicts with EGit, breaking import wizards and generally making strange things happen. It seems like EGit is a much more fully-featured offering, so I was wondering if there's a simple way to disable the Aptana Git plugin.

1. Support Staff 2 Posted by Chris Williams on 01 Nov, 2010 09:17 PM

Currently there is no way to disable the git integration in Studio 3. Can you provide more details on what specifically is broken when using it and EGit together?

2. 3 Posted by Andrew Wiley on 02 Nov, 2010 09:55 PM

Aptana Git causes EGit imports to fail with an error that seems to instantly vanish after the repository has been cloned into the workspace.

3. Support Staff 4 Posted by Chris Williams on 03 Nov, 2010 02:32 PM

can you attach your logs with the relevant error in them? Help > Aptana > View Log File

4. 5 Posted by Andrew Wiley on 04 Nov, 2010 05:17 AM

The error occurs in EGit, and the log entry looks like this:
    !ENTRY org.eclipse.egit.ui 4 0 2010-11-04 00:14:02.067
    !MESSAGE Attempted to beginRule: R/, does not match outer scope rule: P/DMud
    !STACK 0
    java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Attempted to beginRule: R/, does not
    match outer scope rule: P/ProjectName
    at org.eclipse.core.runtime.Assert.isLegal(Assert.java:63)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.illegalPush(ThreadJob.java:136)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob.push(ThreadJob.java:327)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ImplicitJobs.begin(ImplicitJobs.java:63)
    at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.JobManager.beginRule(JobManager.java:286)
    at
    org.eclipse.team.core.RepositoryProvider.unmap(RepositoryProvider.java:249)
    at org.eclipse.team.core.RepositoryProvider.map(RepositoryProvider.java:108)
    at
    org.eclipse.egit.core.op.ConnectProviderOperation.execute(ConnectProviderOperation.java:124)
    at
    org.eclipse.egit.ui.internal.clone.GitImportWizard$1.run(GitImportWizard.java:122)
    at
    org.eclipse.jface.operation.ModalContext$ModalContextThread.run(ModalContext.java:121)

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Chris Williams <
    [email blocked]<tender%[email blocked]>
    > wrote:

5. 6 Posted by Andrew Wiley on 04 Nov, 2010 05:24 AM

There also seems to be a strange interaction with something in Aptana Studio
    3 and the DDT (D Development Tools -
    http://code.google.com/a/eclipselabs.org/p/ddt/) plugin for Eclipse that
    causes DDT projects to be rebuilt every second or so. That's problematic
    because building in DDT consists of actual compiler calls. There aren't
    errors or anything, it just triggers endless builds that go away once Aptana
    Studio is removed from Eclipse.
    DDT is a fast moving target though, so it's probably not worth too much
    investigation.

6. 7 Posted by Francois Rey on 16 Nov, 2010 03:00 PM

I just imported some project from a repository cloned with the (e)Git Repository Exploring perspective. I did not see the errors mentioned above but upon import all projects were automatically shared using aptana git plugin. I had to disconnect them and share each project using the eGit plugin.
    I have not yet encountered any errors like the one described above. I'm on Linux 64 bit and using latest nightly eGit build from http://download.eclipse.org/egit/updates-nightly/.
    Regarding the contant rebuild I had a similar issue with Exadel JavaFX plugin, see http://jira.exadel.org/browse/FXP-94
    It seems Aptana triggers constant rebuild of the workspace and any plugin that does not properly implement its incremental builder will rebuild. Possibly DDT needs to review its IncrementalProjectBuilder.build() logic that checks if the projects needs to be rebuilt.

To Aptana Studio team, could you please:
    1) Provide a preference to disable your git team provider and integrate better with eGit, I just opened a ticket for this:
    https://aptana.lighthouseapp.com/projects/35272-studio/tickets/1372...
    2) Investigate why Aptana constantly triggers workspace builds: is this expected?

Thanks

7. Support Staff 8 Posted by Chris Williams on 02 Mar, 2011 04:54 PM

I'll use the created ticket to add a pref to turn off automatic sharing. As for the workspace rebuilding, I'm not sure what's going on there. We used to roll our own builder that listened for resource changes, but have since moved to an incremental builder. If files change, it'll trigger a rebuild of the diff, which typically just involves parsing and indexing the changed file (if it contains source). Is your project having files/directories changing constantly that would trigger the builder? You can also turn off automatic building under the Project menu, though you'll need to force manual rebuilds to get the index updated for Content Assist and other things then.

8. 9 Posted by Francois Rey on 02 Mar, 2011 05:34 PM

Thanks Chris for taking this up.
    I only reinstalled AS3 plugin yesterday after a while without having it installed.
    Back in November when I wrote my previous comment I don't think I had any file changing constantly, not in a way that would trigger a rebuild every second or so.
    Today I'm not sure these rebuilds happen constantly, it does not seem as bad as before. It's git that has become an issue because I imported a git project of a php web site. Its files may occasionally change due to website activity, but generally these are cached data and not php files. For whatever reason git has become very slow on this project so I disabled the "Calculate pull indicator" option in preferences and that seems to have helped a lot.
    Overall I think it would be a good idea as a default behavior to not automatically share a project with aptana git plugin, so this option should be an opt-in.

9. 10 Posted by Andrew Wiley on 02 Mar, 2011 05:43 PM

I was probably having a problem because DDT builds by invoking the D
    compiler, so files will be modified with pretty much every build. The
    D compiler is fast enough that doing automatic builds like this isn't
    an issue, but apparently touching the files was triggering AS3? I
    don't have it installed at the moment, but I could check the behavior
    again.

10. Support Staff 11 Posted by Chris Williams on 02 Mar, 2011 07:41 PM

I'm going to close this ticket for now. The lighthouse ticket has details on the pref I added to disable the behavior, though it will be opt-out to maintain existing behavior for users . If there are perf issues with git or building, please open new tickets with specific details. I am aware of a perf issue with calculating the pull indicator, since it does an op over the network for every branch that has a remote, instead of batching them for all branches on a remote. I created a ticket to track that here: https://aptana.lighthouseapp.com/projects/35272-studio/tickets/1913

11. Chris Williams closed this discussion on 02 Mar, 2011 07:41 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac